I am a huge soup fan. I could eat soup 365 days a year, both during hot and cold weather. (Hence, my previous post for chili!) But of course, as the mercury drops, my craving for soup only gets litty-lit!
Being a busy working woman with lots on her plate, I’m always looking for a short cut to get to a really amazing dish without spending all day in the kitchen. And now that we’re in the OFFICIAL mashed potatoes season, I’m also trying to find ways to lighten up some of those dishes. I mean, the healthy person inside of me says that not every meal should have delicious butter-and-cream silkened potatoes.
Not gonna lie, though – my inner fat person completely disagrees with that crazy restrictive diet talk!!
I digress… soup – I was talking about soup. Recently after finding a beautiful crop of leeks at the farmers market, I started craving potato leek soup. During that same farmers market trip, I also found a beautiful head of cauliflower. They were the perfect combination to make my healthy fauxtato leek soup, lighter on the carbs and heavy on the deliciousness. The best part is how quickly this delish-dish comes together. Less than an hour total!
You won’t even know you’re being healthy. And believe me when I say, this soup will fill you up for sho. Especially if you are a soup glutton like me…
Fauxtato Leek Soup with Cauliflower
– 2 TB unsalted butter (or vegan margarine/oil)
– 2 TB all-purpose flour
– 6 c chicken broth (or vegetable stock)
– 2-3 leeks, washed THOROUGHLY and rough chopped (dark green stems removed)
– 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped in florets
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1 TB dried oregano
– 1 TB dried thyme
– salt to taste
– white pepper to taste
– shredded cheddar (optional topping)
– crispy booked bacon pieces (optional topping)
– chopped chives (optional topping)
– drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1. Cut leeks in half length-wise, and wash them thoroughly. Fan open the leek layers and wash out all grit and dirt. Rough chop the leeks and set aside.
2. In a large pot, melt butter on low heat. Add flour and stir, cooking the butter and flour into a roux for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth, leeks, cauliflower, cumin, oregano and thyme, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn heat down to low, and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Either use an immersion blender in the pot to blend everything until smooth, or CAREFULLY (it will be very hot!) pour or ladle the soup into a blender, and blend until the texture is smooth and creamy.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top your soup with shredded cheddar cheese, crispy cooked bacon, chopped chives and a little EVOO drizzle.
6. Enjoy hot on a cold day!
I have got to try this. Looks so good.
Yes please do – let me know how you like it!! ☺️