It’s almost spring – in fact, it’s only one day away! You would never know that by looking out my windows right now, considering the piles of snow decorating the lawns and streets.
But I couldn’t wait to ring in spring, so I decided to spruce up my smoothie regimen with a gorgeous splash of color. The best part is how simple and quick this breakfast (or any time of day meal) is to make. And since last month’s vegetarian/pescatarian month of conscious eating, I decided that even on the weekends, I would try to stay true to that principle of conscious eating.
That doesn’t mean, however, that I don’t enjoy small indulgences even while consciously eating. Take this smoothie bowl, for example – it’s naturally sweetened by beets, and by adding a little whipped cream on top, well… a little whipped cream makes everything better, right?
And after I threw this smoothie bowl together, I realized it was the most universal treat ever: gluten-free, low carb-high fat, low sugar, high protein and straight up DELISH.
So, without further ado!
Spring Smoothie Bowl
- 3 small beets (I use the pre-packaged peeled beets from Trader Joes)
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt (I prefer full fat, but use whichever you prefer)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 scoop unsweetened protein powder (I used 365 by Whole Foods Whey Protein Powder Natural Vanilla Flavor)
- 1 TB chia seeds
- 2 TB chopped almonds (or any other nut you’re nuts about)
- strawberries, blueberries or other berries to taste
- 2 TB heavy cream (optional)
- Combine beets, yogurt, almond milk and protein powder into a blender, and blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, and top with chia seeds, nuts and berries.
- For whipped cream topping, pour cream into a bowl and whip with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Spoon your whip cream on top to your liking.
And voila – your day has been kick-started to AMAZING.
See you tomorrow, Spring!!!
♥ – G2GS